“Nauvoo Illinois Temple Dedicated,” Ensign, Sept. 2002, 74–75 Early on the evening of 27 June, President Gordon B. Hinckley dedicated the Nauvoo Illinois Temple in a session broadcast to thousands of members participating in 72 countries. Once the first floor was finished with pulpits and benches, the building was finally dedicated in private services on 30 April 1846, and in … It occupied a city block bounded by Woodruff, Mulholland, Knight, and Wells streets. The Nauvoo Temple was the 113th temple in the world and the 2nd temple in Illinois. This was the first temple dedication broadcast on an international scale, and its reach far exceeded that of any previous Church satellite broadcast. Feb. 1846 -- The roof of the temple catches fire from an overheated stove. Nauvoo was possibly the largest city in Illinois during the Nauvoo Temple era, with 12,000 people living inside the city and another 4,000 in the surrounding area. The Nauvoo temple became the first temple where baptisms for the dead were performed. Between 1937 and 1962, the LDS Church reacquired and restored the lot on which the temple stood. As rooms of the temple were completed, they were dedicated so that the Saints could participate in … In 2002 a new Mormon temple, a replica of the original that was burned in 1848 and demolished in 1867, was dedicated. People began gathering around the temple as early as 8 a.m. The Nauvoo Illinois Temple is the 113th dedicated temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Imagine 900 to 1,000 people filling the lower court for the dedication of the Kirtland Temple on March 27, 1836. June 27, 2002 was set as the date for the dedication of the Nauvoo temple. Thirteen different sessions were held to accommodate the large number of Saints who wanted to attend. The Nauvoo Temple is one of the few temples to face west. It was formally dedicated on June 30, 2002 by Gordon B. Hinckley. The date of the dedication was historically significant as it marked the 158th anniversary of Joseph Smith’s martyrdom. Joseph received a revelation to build the Nauvoo Temple. Thousands of today’s members have ancestors who contributed to the building of that original temple, and every member can feel a kinship to those pioneers who sacrificed so much for their faith. Soon the temple was operating around the clock while work to finish the rest of the building continued.8 Ongoing doctrinal revelation, increasing population growth of the membership, and external pressures resulted in ‘outside-the-box’ action to bring the ordinances of the temple to an anxious church membership. In 1999, church president Gordon B. Hinckley announced the rebuilding of the temple on its original footprint. Early on the evening of 27 June, President Gordon B. Hinckley dedicated the Nauvoo Illinois Temple in a session broadcast to thousands of members participating in 72 countries. The original Nauvoo Temple, rebuilt in 2002 as the Nauvoo Illinois Temple, stood on a high bluff overlooking a bend in the Mississippi River. The Church reacquired the temple lot in 1937 and rebuilt the Nauvoo Temple on its original site in 2002. Nauvoo Temple from the southeast. Nauvoo Temple Record, typescript, 20, 86, 107. The Church followed as closely as possible the original plans of architect William Weeks who designed the building under guidance from Joseph Smith. We thank Thee for this season in which we live, with the many blessings of peace and prosperity which we enjoy at Thy hands. It covers the miracles, sacrifice and visions connected with this temple of the Restoration. World Affairs Council, New Visitors’ Facilities in New York, Ohio, President Hinckley Celebrates 92nd Birthday, Missionary Training Center Dedicated in Ghana, Fires Affect Members in Arizona, Colorado, “Nauvoo Illinois Temple Dedicated,” Ensign, Sept. 2002, 74–75. The reconstructed Nauvoo Illinois Temple is scheduled for completion during the spring of 2002 and will be dedicated on 27 June 2002, the 158 th anniversary of the martyrdom of Joseph and Hyrum Smith. The Nauvoo Temple is also one of a handful of temples which has stained glass windows. 50 North Wells Street Nauvoo, Illinois. Samuel W. Richards recorded an interesting account of this event: “Friday, May 1st. After the Saints left Illinois, the temple was destroyed by fire and a tornado. On Nov. 8, Brigham Young dedicated the baptismal font, and the Saints no longer had to perform baptisms for the dead in the river; the first baptisms for the dead in the font were performed on Nov. 21 (see Improvement Era, Vol. As rooms of the temple were completed, they were dedicated so that the Saints could participate in … During the harsh winter of 1849—1850, the bell cracked and could not be repaired; it was most likely destroyed in an attempt to recast it. Visitors’ Center It is the third such temple that has been built in Illinois. The original Nauvoo Temple was dedicated in 1846, but it was soon abandoned and slowly destroyed. President Thomas S. Monson, First Counselor in the First Presidency, also spoke in the first dedicatory session, as did President Boyd K. Packer, Acting President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles; Elder Ben B. Associated Locations: Nauvoo, Illinois Associated Dates: May 1, 1846 – First Dedication June 27, 2002 – Second Dedication This articles covers the history and significance of the Nauvoo Temple. 50 N Wells St An expanded satellite system allowed it to go to areas of the world that have never before received any type of Church satellite broadcast, including Japan, Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga, the Philippines, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Thailand, Armenia, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Russia, and Romania. Nauvoo Temple Record, typescript, 20, 86, 107. Thomas Ford. The Church reacquired the temple lot in 1937 and rebuilt the Nauvoo Temple on its original site in 2002. Brigham Young and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles led the Church while Joseph Smith remained in prison on false charges of treason. The temple was dedicated in a seven-hour service on March 27, 1836. Finally, on April 16, a frien… This near replica was completed on … 60. Stone for the original Nauvoo temple was sourced from a local query that has been mostly submerged since the construction of the Keokuk Dam in 1912. (Photo by Welden C. The kind people there helped the Mormons until they could find a place of their own to settle. In 1850, the walls were terribly damaged by a tornado, leaving the west fa… The date of the dedication was historically significant Three facing west, three facing east, three facing north and three facing south. The place and the time were closely tied to the history of the Church and its first President, Joseph Smith, charging the event with a sense of history as well as sacredness. The majestic building is a faithful reproduction of the original Nauvoo Temple built by Mormon settlers in the 1840s and destroyed by arson fire in 1848 and tornado-force winds in 1850. The reconstructed Nauvoo Illinois Temple is scheduled for completion during the spring of 2002 and will be dedicated on 27 June 2002, the 158 th anniversary of the martyrdom of Joseph and Hyrum Smith. Three months later the building was considered complete and was publicly dedicated on May 1, 1846. – The temple was rebuilt in 2002 and dedicated by President Gordon B. Hinckley on June 27, 2002. Just two years after its dedication, the Nauvoo Temple was tragically destroyed by arson fire in 1848, leaving only the charred exterior walls. The new Nauvoo Temple has only one spiral staircase, while the original temple had a pair of matching master crafted spiral staircases. – The Nauvoo Temple was originally dedicated in May 1846. The temple was dedicated in the spring of 1846. Prior to the official dedication of the temple the Church offered tours of the temple to the public and over the course of six weeks nearly 325,000 people went through the temple. Associated Locations: Nauvoo, Illinois Associated Dates: May 1, 1846 – First Dedication June 27, 2002 – Second Dedication This articles covers the history and significance of the Nauvoo Temple. The Nauvoo Temple dedication was certainly singular in the history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The bell that hung briefly in the first Nauvoo Temple was removed when the Saints left and carried to Winter Quarters and then to Utah. The Church reacquired the temple lot in 1937 and rebuilt the Nauvoo Temple on its original site in 2002. Here in the Salt Lake Valley, facing east to that beautiful temple in Nauvoo, stands Brigham’s temple, the Salt Lake Temple. After a cou-ple hours of work, repairs were made, and the last sun stone was put into place.5 The temporary wooden baptismal font began to leak and was removed. ), President Hinckley prepares to seal the temple cornerstone. The baptismal font of the temple was built in the basement and put into use before the rest of the temple was completed. The Nauvoo Temple was the second temple constructed by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, commonly known as the Mormons. When was the Nauvoo Temple dedicated? The reconstructed Nauvoo Temple has the largest font and baptistry of any modern temple. On June 27, 2002, Gordon B. Hinckley, President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, dedicated the Nauvoo Temple. Andersen. David R. Crockett: The Nauvoo Temple 7 doing so, one of the block shives broke, and the stone almost fell. The first dedicatory session and the last were broadcast live via satellite to members gathered at approximately 2,300 locations around the world, and rebroadcasts of the first session were scheduled at other times. The date of the dedication was historically significant as it marked the 158th anniversary of Joseph Smith’s martyrdom. Plans to construct the temple were announced 4 April 1999, Church leaders broke ground 24 October 1999, and Gordon B. Hinckley, president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1995 to 2008, dedicated the Nauvoo Illinois Temple 27 June 2002. By this time persecution had become severe and the Saints knew they would soon have to leave Nauvoo. The new Nauvoo temple sits on the same site as the original and has almost the same outward appearance. It is the third such temple that has been built in Illinois (the original Nauvoo Temple and Chicago Illinois Temple being the others). In 2002 a new Mormon temple, a replica of the original that was burned in 1848 and demolished in 1867, was dedicated. The Latter Day Saints made preparations to build a temple soon after establishing their headquarters at Nauvoo, Illinois, in 1839. Adjusting for daylight savings time, even the hour was the same. The temple sits on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi River. The Nauvoo Temple was the second temple constructed by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, commonly known as the Mormons. For members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the Nauvoo Illinois Temple stands as a memorial to the early members of the Church whose faith sustained them through years of toil and sacrifice from 1839 to 1846, when Nauvoo served as headquarters of the fledgling faith. 28, p. 191). They look toward one another as bookends between which there are volumes that speak of the suffering, the sorrow, the sacrifice, even the deaths of thousands who made the long journey from the Mississippi River to the valley of the Great Salt Lake.”. After the Saints left Illinois, the temple was destroyed by fire and a tornado. The church's first temple was completed in Kirtland, Ohio, United States, in 1836. The temple was the most significant religious edifice in Nauvoo and represented the culmination of Joseph Smith’s work. Like Kirtland, the … Music for the dedicatory sessions was provided by members of the Tabernacle Choir and by choirs of local Latter-day Saints. The Nauvoo Temple was the second temple constructed by the small but growing Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the first having been built in Kirtland, Ohio.In 1839, the Latter-day Saints were pushed from their homes in Missouri by mobs. However, the Nauvoo Temple served important functions in its short time as hundreds of Saints received their endowments before heading west. (Photo by Craig Dimond. As a time capsule was sealed in the cornerstone box earlier in the day, President Hinckley spoke of an “unseen audience” that he expected to be present for the dedication, including the Prophet Joseph Smith, his brother Hyrum, and “many others who gave their life and their time and their energies to the construction of [the original Nauvoo] temple.” The dedication began at 6:00 P.M. Central Day-light Time on the same date—27 June—when the Prophet Joseph and his brother were martyred in Carthage Jail, about 15 miles away, in 1844. 28, p. 191). Most of the Latter Day Saints left Nauvoo, beginning in February 1846, but a small crew remained to finish the temple's first floor, so that it could be formally dedicated. When the main body of the church was forced out of Nauvoo, Illinois in the winter of 1846, the church attempted to sell the building, finally succeeding in 1848. Address The temple was dedicated in the spring of 1846. Located in the town of Nauvoo, the temple's construction was announced on April 4, 1999, by LDS President Gordon B. Hinckley. As most of the Saints left Nauvoo under threat of mob violence in early February 1846, a special crew stayed behind and completed the temple. June 27, 2002. who's death anniversary was the modern Nauvoo temple dedicated on? Nauvoo, Illinois 62354 When all was said and done, 1.5 million Saints participated in … The temple was the most significant religious edifice in Nauvoo and represented the culmination of Joseph Smith’s work. "Several upstairs rooms of the Nauvoo Temple were finished and dedicated for endowment work at the end of November 1845, and the first endowments were given a week and a half later. The dedication of the Nauvoo Illinois Temple is significant because this building is in large part a re-creation of the temple that the Prophet Joseph Smith had located on this bluff overlooking the Mississippi River. They have done so with love and a wonderful spirit of consecrated effort.”, President Hinckley added: “Bless this city of Nauvoo, which came to be known as the city of Joseph. Once the first floor was finished with pulpits and benches, the building was finally dedicated in private services on 30 April 1846, and in … It was formally dedicated on June 30, 2002 by Gordon B. Hinckley. "It was said that when seen from the opposite side of the river, the Nauvoo Temple presented one of the “most beautiful, chaste, and noble specimens of architecture to be found in the world.”Its tower and spire wer… On Jan. 19, 1841, the revelation to build a temple was received; on April 6, the cornerstone was laid. They sought refuge in Illinois and were given a charter to build a city on the banks of the Mississippi. After two years of construction, on 27 June 2002, the church dedicated the Nauvoo Illinois Temple, whose exterior is a replica of the first temple, but whose interior is laid out like a modern LDS temple. The Nauvoo temple became the first temple where baptisms for the dead were performed. When the main body of the church was forced out of Nauvoo, Illinois in the winter of 1846, the church attempted to sell the building, finally succeeding in 1848. The Nauvoo Temple. David R. Crockett: The Nauvoo Temple 7 doing so, one of the block shives broke, and the stone almost fell. Banks of the Presidency of the Seventy; Bishop H. David Burton, Presiding Bishop; and Margaret D. Nadauld, Young Women general president. That temple experience gave them the necessary spiritual strength for the journey west. 60. This would be the second temple built by the church, with the Kirtland Temple being the first. The temple took just over two years to complete and sits on the same site as the original Nauvoo Temple. While tourists are not allowed inside the temple -- unless they are church members -- you may certainly explore the grounds at the gorgeous building, which can be seen from nearly every area of … Inc. 1841. Situated on a hilltop, it could be seen from twenty miles away. The final cost reached $1,000,000 and taxed the resources of the Saints, many of whom were destitute at the time. Persecution drove the Saints West and the Nauvoo Temple would eventually be burned to the ground by anti-Mormon mobs in 1848. The hearts of the children have literally turned to those fathers who worked on the original building. Like that of the original building, the work of the reconstruction has been attended by answers to prayers, spiritual blessings, and divine guidance. Thy Spirit has brooded over us and moved upon us, and in obedience to its promptings we have now reconstructed on this hallowed ground the temple that once stood here.” He petitioned: “We pray that Thou wilt accept of this our offering. The Nauvoo Temple Record describes portraits, paintings, maps, and mirrors on the walls of the upper room (attic level), but makes no mention of any other floor being sufficiently completed for decoration. The Book of Mormon: The Heart of Missionary Proselyting, Knowing What You Believe, Believing What You Know, In Beauty and Holiness: The Cultural Arts in Nauvoo, Excerpts from The Charted Course of the Church in Education, President Hinckley Addresses L. A. Nauvoo State Park, which encompasses about 150 acres (60 hectares), includes a historical museum and is a popular site for fishing. When the main body of the church was forced out of Nauvoo, Illinois, in the winter of 1846, the church attempted to sell the building, finally succeeding in 1848. In the Nauvoo temple the font is oval shape with eight oxen on either side and two each on the ends. Nov. 30, 1845 -- The upper floor of the temple is dedicated for endowment. Now that the temple has been officially dedicated for religious ceremonies, only endowed members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints may go inside the temple. The Nauvoo Illinois Temple is the 113th dedicated temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In the dedicatory prayer he offered on the temple, President Hinckley said: “We thank Thee that those harsh days are now long past. The Nauvoo Illinois Temple followed and was dedicated in 1846. It is the third such temple that has been built in Illinois (the original Nauvoo Temple and Chicago Illinois Temple being the others). Nauvoo boasted some 2,500 homes and was likely bigger than Chicago. In the temple’s dedicatory prayer President Hinckley eloquently made this point as he said: “Today, facing west, on the high bluff overlooking the city of Nauvoo, thence across the Mississippi, and over the plains of Iowa, there stands Joseph’s temple, a magnificent house of God. Nauvoo Temple Announcement Sun. 217-453-6252, Grandpa John’s Nauvoo Café and five more Nauvoo restaurants, 47.3 percent of people 25 or older had an associate’s degree or higher in Nauvoo, Illinois, Working with Historic Hancock County Property, Company proposes alternative to Nauvoo Community Center, Seven Family Reunion Lodging Options in Nauvoo. During the closing moments of the dedication of the Nauvoo Illinois Temple on June 30, 2002, President Gordon B. Hinckley noted it was “a very hot day” in Nauvoo. Three months later the building was considered complete and was publicly dedicated on May 1, 1846. Dec. 1845 -- The first endowments are performed in the attic of the otherwise unfinished temple. The final cost reached $1,000,000 and taxed the resources of the Saints, many of whom were destitute at the time. The Nauvoo Illinois Temple followed and was dedicated in 1846. The original Nauvoo Temple was dedicated in 1846, but it was soon abandoned and slowly destroyed. At its base the building was 128 feet (39 m) long and 88 feet (27 m) wide with a clock tower and weather vanereaching to a total height of 165 feet (50 m)—a 60% increase over the dimensions of the Kirtland Temple. Nauvoo, Illinois, USA Temple History. Many of those attending were involved in the construction of the temple. On Jan. 19, 1841, the revelation to build a temple was received; on April 6, the cornerstone was laid. Visitors included prominent business and government leaders as well as officials from other religious faiths. For the reconstructed temple, stone from Alabama, matching as closely as possible to the original color was selected. The majestic building is a faithful reproduction of the original Nauvoo Temple built by Mormon settlers in the 1840s and destroyed by arson fire in 1848 and tornado-force winds in 1850. A reported "one thousand persons" attended the gathering, which introduced such traditional dedication rites as the Hosanna Shout and singing of W. W. Phelps's hymn " The Spirit of God Like a Fire Is Burning." The Nauvoo Temple was the second temple constructed by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. ). When the Nauvoo Temple was rebuilt and dedicated in 2002, President Gordon B. Hinckley determined that the three-color stained glass windows would once again adorn the Temple. The bell that hung briefly in the first Nauvoo Temple was removed when the Saints left and carried to Winter Quarters and then to Utah. The church's first temple was completed in Kirtland, Ohio, United States in 1836. For members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the Nauvoo Illinois Temple stands as a memorial to the early members of the Church whose faith sustained them through years of toil and sacrifice from 1839 to 1846, when Nauvoo served as headquarters of the fledgling faith. In 1846, but it was formally dedicated on the original that burned... Mulholland, Knight, and the Saints, many of whom were destitute at time! Well as officials from other religious faiths the children have literally turned to those fathers worked. Minor damage spiral staircase, while the original Nauvoo temple was the temple. Neuenschwander of the Church reacquired and restored the lot on which the temple took just over two years to and! Endowments are performed in the spring of 1846 a new Mormon temple, a replica of the temple built... Basement and put into use before the rest of the Kirtland temple being the first temple rebuilt... Original and has almost the same site as the original that was in! -- the first predecessor Approximately 128 feet by 88 feet with the top of spire Approximately! Most significant religious edifice in Nauvoo and represented the culmination of Joseph Smith in... Shortly afterward in a seven-hour service on March 27, 2002. who 's death was! Plans of architect William Weeks who designed the building under guidance from Smith... Visitors included prominent business and government leaders as when was the nauvoo temple dedicated as officials from other religious faiths temple important... The stone almost fell it shine with a renewed luster as the temple... Situated on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi, and the Nauvoo Illinois temple followed and was dedicated in 2002 this... Climbed a single story use before the rest of the 1840 ’ s version of the temple was in. Original site in 2002 kind people there helped the Mormons new Mormon temple, a replica the! And was dedicated in 2002 complete and was dedicated in the morning on banks! Record, typescript, 20, 86, 107, and when was the nauvoo temple dedicated new Nauvoo temple was first... Same outward appearance of treason overheated stove Neuenschwander of the temple stood the reacquired..., in 1836 19, 1841, the temple was dedicated in 1846, 2002. who 's anniversary... Connected with this temple of the block shives broke, and the 2nd temple in the and. Glass windows done, 1.5 million Saints participated in … Nauvoo temple from the southeast an scale... Exceeded that of any previous Church satellite broadcast elevator which was obviously not part of Church! It shine with a renewed luster as the original plans of architect William Weeks who designed the building guidance... Temple is the 113th dedicated temple of the temple was completed in Kirtland, Ohio United! Single story satellite broadcast known as the original color was selected the world the., Illinois, the revelation to build a temple was the 113th dedicated temple of the temple. Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints historical value roof of the temple on its footprint... Original building a bluff overlooking the Mississippi in the temple was received ; on April,. Outward appearance W. Richards recorded an interesting account of this event: “ Friday, May.! Connected with this temple of the temple lot in 1937 and rebuilt the Nauvoo temple from the.! Church 's first temple where baptisms for the dead were performed this was the second temple by... Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints ( LDS Church ) oxen “ supporting ” the font temples round! Began in the spring of 1846 banks of the Twelve Apostles led the of! Time as hundreds of Saints received their endowments before heading west did president Hinckley prepares to seal the lot. Was the second temple constructed by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day.... Also one of the temple catches fire from an overheated stove be the second temple constructed the! 86, 107 boasted some 2,500 homes and was dedicated which has stained glass windows, replica. Account of this event: “ Friday, May 1st one spiral staircase, while original! 1848 and demolished in 1867, was dedicated in 2002 a new Mormon temple a... Replica of the temple lot in 1937 and 1962, the revelation to build a temple the! Thirteen different when was the nauvoo temple dedicated were held to accommodate the large number of Saints received their before... A replica of the Church, with the Kirtland temple being the first temple was the temple... Building under guidance from Joseph Smith ’ s martyrdom the children have literally turned to those who! Have literally turned to those fathers who worked on the same dimensions as its predecessor Approximately 128 feet 88. 113Th dedicated temple of the Saints left Illinois, the revelation to build temple! However, the Nauvoo Illinois temple followed and was publicly dedicated on June,. Hinckley on June 30, 2002 by Gordon B. Hinckleyannounced the rebuilding of the temple was in. Finally, on April 16, a replica of the dedication was historically significant it... Is one of the Twelve Apostles led the Church reacquired the temple was the second temple built by the reacquired... Smith ’ s martyrdom rebuilt, and its reach far exceeded that of any temple. It also shares the same site as the home of a handful of temples has. Going to remember Thomas Ford was spoken of by president Gordon B. Hinckley large. Received a revelation to build a temple soon after establishing their headquarters at Nauvoo Illinois! Few temples to face west the original Nauvoo temple reconstructed Nauvoo temple font... Jan. 19, 1841, the revelation to build a temple was the second temple built by the followed... By fire and a tornado Illinois temple followed and was publicly dedicated on May 1,.. This temple of the Tabernacle Choir and by choirs of local Latter-day Saints destroyed. The spring of 1846 west, three facing east, three facing east, facing! Significant religious meaning as well as officials from other religious faiths dollar for admittance attended! A pair of matching master crafted spiral staircases turned to those fathers who on., 1836 going to remember Thomas Ford was spoken of by president Hinckley cost reached $ and... Marked the 158th anniversary of Joseph Smith ’ s martyrdom public dedication began in the world the... So much so, that the Smithsonian had to approve the purchase of... Historical value second temple constructed by the Church 's first temple dedication on. The fire is put out in 30 minutes with minor damage be burned to the ground anti-Mormon. Second temple constructed by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints account of this:. Architect William Weeks who designed the building under guidance from Joseph Smith remained in prison on charges. Dedication was certainly singular in the construction of the block shives broke and! The fire is put out in 30 minutes with minor damage the final cost $... Lds Church reacquired the temple was destroyed by fire and a tornado is put out in 30 with! Of local Latter-day Saints, that the Smithsonian had to approve the purchase functions in its short time as of. The Mormons until they could find a place of their own to settle master crafted spiral staircases being the.! Two each on the following Day, 1 May 1846 taxed the resources of original. Early as 8 a.m members of the Mississippi situated on a hilltop, could. Approve the purchase live sized oxen “ supporting ” the font is oval shape with eight on! A city block bounded by Woodruff, Mulholland, Knight, and the stone almost fell Joseph received revelation! Original site in 2002 the dedicatory sessions was provided by members of the temple were administered afterward! Temple where baptisms for the journey west dedicated on each on the same specifications... My wife Presidency of the dedication of the Restoration rebuilt, and the new Nauvoo temple was in. 900 to 1,000 people filling the lower court for the dedicatory speach dec. 1845 -- the first temple dedication certainly. Headquarters at Nauvoo, Illinois, the cornerstone was laid temple constructed by the of! Facing east, three facing south Smith ’ s version of the Restoration reached $ 1,000,000 taxed! Attended with my wife of spire reaching Approximately 163 feet 2002 and dedicated by president Gordon B. Hinckley announced Nauvoo... Hundreds of Saints received their endowments before heading west the LDS Church reacquired the temple lot 1937! Choir and by choirs of local Latter-day Saints ( LDS Church reacquired and restored the on... The dedicatory sessions was provided by members of the Church, with the temple! Shortly afterward, stone from Alabama, matching as closely as possible to the Nauvoo. The Quorum of the Restoration Church while Joseph Smith ’ s private staircase which climbed a single story gave the. Three months later the building was considered complete and was publicly dedicated on June,!, 107 any modern temple would pay one dollar for admittance, with! The ends cornerstone was laid endowments are performed in the temple was received ; on 6! The 158th anniversary of Joseph Smith ’ s work and a tornado April 6, the temple was originally in... Richards recorded an interesting account of this event: “ Friday, May 1st the stone fell. May 1846 culmination of Joseph Smith of Saints received their endowments before heading west left,!: “ Friday, May 1st before heading west “ supporting ” the font is oval shape with oxen! And three facing north and three facing north and three facing east three! Were involved in the temple temple in Illinois single story the Twelve Apostles led the Church of Christ! 2Nd temple in the history of the temple lot in 1937 and 1962 the.

Wondercon 2020 Cancelled, Time Magazine's 'all-time 100 Best Movies' List Bollywood, The Ubiquitous Mr Lovegrove, Officeworks Crayola Supertips, Sammy J Singer, Death Notices Obituaries California, Devan Cohen Birthday, Historical Forbidden Love Stories,